*This recipe was adapted from Six Seasons: A New Way With Vegetables
Eating healthy around the holidays can be a challenge. Portion sizes grow, wine glasses get refilled and somehow there is always room for one or two desserts. Bring this colorful salad to your next holiday soiree and help ensure there’s something (healthy) everyone can indulge in.
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed
- 3/4 pound carrots (a mix of color), trimmed and peeled
- 1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped fine
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup lightly packed, roughly chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ball burrata or very fresh mozzarella
- extra-virgin olive oil
- scallion olive oil
- Heat a cast iron or another heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cut the scallions into lengths that will fit in the skillet, and char them (dry, no oil) turning frequently until they are blackened on the outer layer. 8-10 minutes. Chop the scallions into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.
- Prep the carrots by grating, shredding or cutting them thinly. The finer the better!
- Put the carrots in a bowl and add the scallions, walnuts, anchovies, parsley, lemon juice, chili flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Toss well and let the salad sit for a few minutes.
- Toss again and add 1/4 extra virgin olive oil and a drizzle of scallion olive oil.
- Pull the burrata or mozzarella into shreds and distribute it over the salad.
Photos by Leslie Carvitto